Oct 2, 2014

Looking at things from another angle

I love handcraft. I always have. I cannot imagine living without it. It has been my loyal friend through all my life, giving me energy, joy and inner peace.

I am sewing, cross stitching, crocheting, knitting, making jewelry ...  Anything goes with me. I love colors. I can get lost in them. They are my meditation. The time does not exist when creating. I love sharing and passing on this passion to my children, other children, friends and all people sharing the same interest.

It will be six years in December since I started quite successful blog in native language sharing my passion. I met some really interesting people through it, even sold few items on a side. But I always wished more; I wished there would be a way to live from my passion.

I was always told that crafting is a very nice hobby but cannot be anything more. I could not ever live from that. I would be crazy to even think about living my well paid job for it.  And I listened.

Many blog friends moved on. They opened shops on a side or are having creative workshops for children, are attending workshops abroad, learning, progressing. Not me. I am stuck.

Since I started to write this blog and really started to think about my passions, talents and skills, this tiny little voice inside me become louder again, asking me why not, why not now, when, when? Yesterday's post about how I confronted the fear of public speaking really made me think what else is possible, if I was able to do that.

When I dropped my youngest at school this morning, I noticed a poster inviting to children's creative workshops. There was no workshops like that in previous years and now this was already second one this year. The schools are really not offering a lot on this field and just when I was starting to think, that I might gather the courage to do something about that, this happened. My first reaction was that this is not fair. This was mine to be.

But then something hit me while driving to work. What if I need a good mentor like I did for overcoming the fear of public speaking? What if this is a chance to connect with people that are likeminded and are already doing exactly what I would like to do? What if this is in fact an opportunity for the next step that I was postponing for too long? Maybe I could help them, maybe we could become partners? I have two kids and obviously know a lot of other families with kids. I have friends that like my work and are supportive about it. I would be able to start with small manageable steps. Is this a window opening?

I do not know. But I do now something. If I will not take this action and I will just keep on dreaming, nothing will happen. I will send an e-mail tomorrow first thing in the morning and contact the lady. Let’s see, what will happen. There is really nothing to lose.

2 comments: