Oct 7, 2014

So ... what do I do? What is the best way to answer this question?

Well ...  I work at Telecommunication Company where I try to make communication between the company and customers better ... This was my short clumsy answer to the question, I never really knew how to answer. I dreaded it and just tried to get over it as soon as possible. Not good according to Scott Dinsmore from LYL.
 »Just because you work a sales job you can’t wait to leave doesn't mean you ever have to talk about it.« 
First of all, I do like what I do to certain extend, but if I truthfully think about it, I NEVER really felt, this is me. One little part of me yes, but am I genuinely excited about it? NO. If I would be excited about what I do at my job, I would probably not have a problem talking about it. This really was an eye opener for me.

Another Scott's thought that made me think was that I am not my job. I do not have to talk about it, I can answer to the question any other way I wish.
»Start  identifying yourself with who you want to be and the difference you want to make.« 
I see the difference in me when I am communicating something I am passionate about. I am energetic, positive, relaxed and sometimes even funny. My body becomes alive trying to back up the words. Eyes shine and I smile. I am happy. I am not looking for the escape sign.
»Treat every interaction as a micro experiment – an opportunity for discovery«
Maybe, next time the question »What do you do?« comes up, I could make an experiment and say something like:

I help people find, explore and enjoy creative side of them.

Or maybe a longer version?

I help people find, explore and enjoy creative side of them. I love creating; I love the feeling of inner peace it brings me. I love its power to slow everyday busy life and a new fresh perspective it brings. This is what I help others to experience.

What do you thing? If we met for the first time (we actually are), would you like to find out more about me, or would you look for the escape sign? ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment