Sep 28, 2014

How to create a fail-proof routine?

You know that enthusiasm, when you decide, you will change something in your life to positive? How many times I decided firmly I will start exercise more regularly or that I will stop eating sweets to compensate feeling down. I know that would be good for me, I know I will feel better then, but ... oh yes, that but ...

So I start jogging every two days. I might go three, four times, and then rain comes, or I come too late from work few days in a row, or kids need to be taken to activities, or friends come to stop by. Sounds familiar?  The list could go on and on. The fact is, I first skip one day, then two, three and somewhere in between I forget to go jogging at all. And then I wonder, why I feel down, why I feel as I can not change anything. Why is it so hard to stick to changes, although we know, they are good for us.

When I looked a little in to it, I found a few tricks that might help:

1. I need to BELIEVE in decision to change, or don' do it at all.
2. I need to start SMALL. One thing at a time.
3. I need to do it DAILY. No excuse, because even one excuse is enough for failure.
4. I need to do this at least 21 DAYS in a row scientist say. Then it will become a habit and it will be easier.
5. I need to do it each day at the SAME TIME in THE SAME WAY.
6. I need to do it RIGHT AFTER AN ACTIVITY I DO EACH DAY - make a link.

And maybe, I would add one more. Sometimes, if I tell my decision to somebody that I know will care, that will make me accountable for the decision, support me, might do the trick. You might even go public -  if you like a motivation and additional pressure to not fail.

My first decision will be, to write this blog every day for next 21 days. Did I really said that?! Yes. Why? Firstly, I would like to put everything running around my head to a paper, and get a perspective, self reflection in this way. Secondly, I would like to challenge my written English. I am not a native speaker, but would like to grow in this direction. Maybe some days I will not have so much to tell, but lets see, where this can take me.

Wish you all a lot of successful small steps.




No comments:

Post a Comment